What to Look For in a Contractor and Where to Look
When seeking the services of either a general or
specialized contractor for your renovation project, there are important
guidelines that you should follow:
- A good candidate should have expertise in the type of renovation
that you are undertaking. If remodeling a bathroom, you will obviously
need the services of an experienced plumber to move or add new
plumbing lines and fixtures. The specialized contractor should
have required licensing and certification in their field.
- A reliable contractor will carry up-to-date contractor’s
- The contractor should have numerous references and recommendations.
- Look for a contractor without violations or legitimate complaints
on record at the local building authority.
- Most good contractors will be in high demand; contracting their
services and arranging project timelines may need to be done well
Where to Look
There are several different resources available for finding a reliable
- Word of mouth references from friends, relatives, or neighbors
who have recently had a home renovation project completed.
- Local building authorities.
- Local classified or yellow page advertisements.
- Local building or trade associations.
- Online Internet contractor locating services that help project
owners connect with local service provider members. Some offer
their services free to project owners. Two reliable resources
are TrustedPros.ca for Canadian contractor-to-project owner
services, and www.handyamerican.com for USA contractor-to-project
A rule of thumb is that a candidate should live in close proximity
to your area. Once you have assembled a list of likely candidates,
use telephone interviews to fine tune the list.
Tell each candidate where you live, and offer general information
about your plans in order to discover whether or not they would
be interested in undertaking the project. Include such information
as type and extent of renovation and remodeling that needs to be
done, expected budget, and desired start and completion timetables.
the Right Contractor |
Guide to Home Renovations
Free Renovation Estimates
Post your home improvement project and receive free estimates from local, top-rated contractors. Posting your project is fast, free and easy to use. It gives you the tools to manage your projects, negotiate the best rates and find the right contractor for your project.
Contractor Hiring Tips
This article outlines how to select the right contractor, what to avoid, getting quotes, the contract, payment arrangement, and much more. Please take the time To read through our hiring tips and download the useful forms available to help make the selection process easier.