Oklahoma State Contractor License Requirements
In the construction trade the state of Oklahoma does not require a building contractor license. However check the locality where the project will be undertaken for local licensing or certification.
Journeyman Electrician's License
- Four (4) years of electrical work experience. Two (2) of the four (4) years must be in commercial and/or industrial work. Up to two (2) years of Division-approved education is needed to fulfill the experience requirement.
Electrical Contractor License
- Proof of workers' compensation insurance
- $5,000 license bond
- $50,000 liability insurance
- Five (5) years of electrical work experience where two (2) of the five (5) years must be in commercial and/or industrial work. Up to two (2) years of Division-approved education is needed to fulfill the experience requirement.
Mechanical Contractor and Journeyman Licenses
The Division issues mechanical contractor and journeyman licenses for these trades:
- HVAC unlimited (over 25 tons and 500,000 Btu)
- HVAC limited (under 25 tons and 500,000 Btu or less)
- Natural gas piping
- Process piping
- Sheet metal
- Three (3) years of work experience.
Mechanical Contractor License
- A contractor's exam
- Four (4) years of work experience.
Three (3) years of plumbing work experience plus and exam.
Plumber’s Contractor License
Four (4) years of plumbing work experience.
Consumers are advised to check for additional local municipal contractor license requirements as contractor laws can differ from county to county. It is also advised to double check with the state’s requirements before hiring a contractor.
Free Renovation Estimates
Post your home improvement project and receive free estimates from local, top-rated contractors. Posting your project is fast, free and easy to use. It gives you the tools to manage your projects, negotiate the best rates and find the right contractor for your project.
Contractor Hiring Tips
This article outlines how to select the right contractor, what to avoid, getting quotes, the contract, payment arrangement, and much more. Please take the time To read through our hiring tips and download the useful forms available to help make the selection process easier.