Ohio State Contractor License Requirements
The state of Ohio does not offer a contractor license. This is required in municipality where work is to be done. The Ohio Construction Industry Examining Board does issue Qualification Certificates for plumbing, electrical, HVAC, hydronics, and refrigeration contractors.
Asbestos Abatement Contractor License and Certificates
Contractors who work with asbestos in Ohio must be certified and/or licensed by the Ohio Department of Health.
For qualification for an asbestos contractor license the applicant must:
- Have access to a state-approved asbestos disposal site
- Have a worker protection program consistent with Ohio State Health Authority
- Comply with all applicable state and federal standard for asbestos hazard abatement projects
- Have at least one (1) asbestos hazard abatement specialist employed
- Register with the Ohio Secretary of State
Asbestos Hazard Abatement Worker
Asbestos Hazard Abatement Specialist
Asbestos Hazard Evaluation Specialist
Asbestos Hazard Project Designer
Hazard Abatement Air-Monitoring Technician
Plumbing, Electrical, HVAC, Hydronics Contractor License
Consumers are advised to check for additional local municipal contractor license requirements as contractor laws can differ from county to county. It is also advised to double check with the state’s requirements before hiring a contractor.
- Five (5) years of experience in the field.
- Exam: ½ on trade and ½ on business and law
- Proof of insurance ($500,000 liability minimum) and education requirements.
Free Renovation Estimates
Post your home improvement project and receive free estimates from local, top-rated contractors. Posting your project is fast, free and easy to use. It gives you the tools to manage your projects, negotiate the best rates and find the right contractor for your project.
Contractor Hiring Tips
This article outlines how to select the right contractor, what to avoid, getting quotes, the contract, payment arrangement, and much more. Please take the time To read through our hiring tips and download the useful forms available to help make the selection process easier.